For those of you (fabulously) unaware, I had to have two freaking surgeries so far this year. The first was for my knee. Sometime back in November or so, I twisted my knee funny while working out and the end result was a torn meniscus in addition to something called “jumper’s knee”, which I did not know was an issue. Because I can jump, muthah-fuckas.
But apparently, my knee surgeon disagreed.
Speaking of end results, about 4 weeks later I went to another surgeon. This time however, it was for a different part of the body. My ASS!!
Yes. You read it right. My BUTT! You see, I had a helluva bad delivery with McKade. And it resulted in something called an anal fissure. I have managed the pain for years. And it’s been quite the journey.
I can remember after McKade was born feeling such intense pain and thinking it was all par for the course. When it finally got to the point that I could no longer sit down to nurse him, I knew I needed help. And it was hard to find.
Eventually I found relief from the pain. I learned that my options were to heal or to undergo surgery. I chose to deal with the fissure in the hopes that it would heal.
Well, it obviously didn’t heal. And in the reading I’ve done, fissures can heal within 3 or 4 weeks. Beyond that, typically they are considered chronic and require surgical ‘repair’.
I’m open about this and willing to share because:
- Chronic, if only temporarily chronic pain, sucks and draws the life out of you, leaving you feeling ‘not like yourself’, depressed, alone, and even hopeless,
- There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about,
- Fissures can occur for multiple reasons, and may even indicate that there is something else going on in the body which requires your attention,
- We all have the same parts, and sometimes those parts don’t work well and need adjusting, and if I can share my experience with others, perhaps I can prevent them from feeling this pain,
- Oh yeah, and the most important reason for sharing: Are you freaking kidding me? This is by far one of the most comedy rich experiences I have ever had! My ASS needed surgery!!!
I’m healing well and hope to find my new ‘normal’ soon. I guess you could say, that pain in my ass, well I nipped it in the BUTT!!
Smartass snarky comments are encouraged!!
Oh and one more thing, sadly there are no photographs to coincide with this post.